As the first permanent settlement in DuPage County, Lisle has a rich and colorful history. Founded in 1832 by brothers James C. and Luther Hatch, Lisle draws its name from a town in New York. Like many other settlers at the time, the Hatch brothers came to the area in search of rich farmland and a chance for prosperity. They found both in Lisle.
As early as 1833, members of the First Congregational Church of DuPage were worshipping in Lisle. By 1834, John Thompson was taking care of Lisle’s postal service needs. The first frame schoolhouse in the county is said to have been constructed here in 1837.
By 1850, a plank road extended from Chicago through Lisle west along what is now Ogden Avenue. Toll gates were located at five-mile intervals. One stood at Marc Beaubien’s Tavern-Inn in west Lisle, a convenient day’s journey from Chicago. Railroad transportation became available in Lisle in 1864 when the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad completed its tracks from Chicago to Aurora.
In 1839, DuPage County was organized and set apart from Cook County. In 1850, voters opted for the township form of government, which persists in modified form today. DuPage County was geographically divided into nine townships, with Lisle Township the south central one. Nearly a hundred years later – in 1956 – the Village of Lisle was incorporated within Lisle Township.
Over the years, Lisle has retained its small town charm while at the same time enhancing the quality of life for area residents through the addition of amenities like the Morton Arboretum and Benedictine University as well as other institutions and organizations.
Today, Lisle offers residents the best of both worlds: a small town environment with easy access to the amenities of a large metropolitan area. Residents are attracted to the area for a variety of reasons, including access to outstanding schools and family-oriented neighborhoods and community.